Sent: Mon 3/24/2008 6:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Archaeobotany workshop at Worcester in May

Hello folks,

I'm writing you from Vancouver, Canada - greetings. I am an archaeobotanist
who is entering a project with a local First Nation that has been excavating
a large and unprecedented plant processing site. There are both wet and dry
site components. I myself have worked only on dry sites and largely with
macroremains. My role in the project is to help figure out sampling and
processing  for the wet site macroremains (and suggest where to sample and
arrange for microremain analysis, as appropriate) and to teach members of
the Nation to process and analyse these remains. It's a long term ongoing
type of project. My questions are very rudimentary with regards to doing
work in a wet site context. The matrix is very peaty and I am unsure how to
proceed with either sampling or processing (eg. what size of samples to aim
for, should we try water seiving before going to the microscope, are there
specific techniques for macroscopic analysis of wet plant materials?),
though I am gaining ideas from reading the British/European literature. Any
help with references or anecdotal experience would be very much appreciated.
I will be at the upcoming Society for American Archaeology meetings as well
as at the World Arky Congress in Dublin this summer - I'd be happy to buy
beers in exchange for knowledge! And of course I can be contacted at this
address.

Very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Natasha Lyons

Post-doctoral Fellow, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
E: [log in to unmask]
T: 604.871.9822