I'm nearly positive Malcolm Gladwell (he of The
Tipping Point) has written on this subject,
possibly in the context of "granularization" (as
used here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular#In_computing
)

There may also be something useful in the sources
(or, indeed, the article itself) over here:
http://tiny.cc/rC7fZ

Seems to overlap with a lot of sociological
things, too....

--- Alan Pritchard <[log in to unmask]>

grant's words: http://www.flyingfists.org

grant's music: http://grantimatter.com/, http://guildofscientifictroubadours.com