From: Victoria Clough [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 March 2008 13:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Usefulness of PTH in assessing vitamin D status

We have noticed a significant increase in the number of requests we are
receiving for 25OHD and are trying to establish whether it is always
necessary to measure 25OHD itself or if PTH can be used as a first line
test, with 25OHD being measured only if the PTH is raised.  I've come
across a couple of papers which recommend the above approach but have also
read several which suggest that PTH is no substitute for 25OHD as it can be
normal in vitamin D deficiency and shows poor correlation with 25OHD, with
the relationship between the 2 analytes varying with age.

It would be useful to know the approach taken by other labs and I'd be
grateful for any references which decisions have been based on.

Thank you

Victoria Clough
Pre-Registration Clinical Biochemist
King George Hospital, Goodmayes