This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

Just to muddy the waters a little more…

General consensus here is that it might not be the 8th Army 'Desert Rats' you're looking at, as we are pretty sure the Desert Rats never fought the Japanese.  However, there's an interesting bit on Wikipedia about the 'Rats of Tobruk' many of whom were ANZACs and eventually fought against all three of the Axis powers: The 9th Australian Division served in Tobruk and got the nickname the Rats of Tobruk and was one of the few Allied units who served against the Germans and Italians in North Africa and the against Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rats_of_Tobruk

And Richy found this:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-battles/ww2/tobruk.htm

which gives details and shows some rat-shaped memorabilia made by some of the soldiers.

Jenny Brown

Curatorial Assistant (Collections Access)

Direct Line: 0191 370 4060

Email: [log in to unmask]

www.beamishcollections.com

Regional Resource Centre,

BEAMISH, The North of England Open Air Museum,

Beamish,

County Durham

DH9 0RG

Tel. 0191 370 4000

Fax. 0191 370 4001

P Please consider the environment - Do you really need to print this email?