Hello

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has designed their own solution to the following problem and could possibly help us.

We are interested in extending the use of our Active Directory so it can be used to control access to resources from Linux and Solaris clients.  This already happens to some extent but problem is preventing a bigger take up of this facility. We currently use SFU 3.5 and the problem we have is that when AD security groups are created no GID is automatically assigned to the new group. For user accounts this isn't an issue because one department (my own) creates all the user accounts for the entire University. We can therefore assign UIDs centrally at the point of the account creation from our meta-directory. However the ability to create and manage AD groups is devolved to local IT support staff (of which there are many). We need a way to populate the GID attribute with a unique value whenever a group is created.  We also need a way to ensure that this GID cannot be modified even by those who have rights to manage the group itself. Our current thinking is to schedule a task which looks for groups without GIDs, extracts the RID from the group's SID and then write this into the appropriate SFU attribute.

I'd be interested to hear from any Universities that have tried something like this or have found other ways to achieve the same result.

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel Bruce
Service Group Leader