In Staffordshire we have recently signed a contract with Research Machines for a county wide learning platform. Our thinking was very much influenced by changes and requirements in the 14-19 area and one of the reasons for our choice was a company who could tailor a service to our needs.

As in London, we have a responsibility to make such provision available, but it is then down to school choice. We have extensively piloted earlier versions of the RM products and learned a lot about schools’ thinking along the way. The statement of requirements for the learning platform was very heavily influenced by stakeholder groups drawn from learning establishments.

We have underpinned the whole process with a document that we wrote and called ‘Learners first …’ . One of the key issues that we have been addressing and will continue to address is how we meet the needs of the learner as they move between locations and how we integrate the learning platform with the area-wide prospectus and provide online application to colleges etc.

Yes, we will provide a VLE within the learning platform, but as long as we have a business case we are able to work with other VLEs.

Of course, a crucial part of any learning platform package is how this links with the learning establishment’s MIS system. Added to this is the very real desire to engage with parents and families and meet the needs of real time reporting.

By the way, we have over 400 learning establishments in Staffordshire! At the end of the day we have a real desire to provide a barrier free approach to learning.

Derrick

Derrick Golland

Senior Adviser and e-Learning Manager

School Improvement Division