A colleague of mine, Mathieu Deflem, is looking for panelists for an upcoming conference in Miami (US) this October.  Please respond to him soon if you are interested because the deadline for submissions is only a few weeks away.  See message below for further information.

Cheers,
Torin

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mathieu Deflem" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: January 31, 2008 10:40:10 AM GMT-07:00
To: "Torin Monahan" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SSHA Conference Miami - Panel Proposal

Dear Torin,

This year's meeting of the Social Science History Association will be held in October in sunny Miami. Meeting organizer Mabel Berezin has asked me to organize a panel in the area, and I am seeking your support. The (extended) deadline is February 15. More details in the attached file. Feel free to forward this email.

I am proposing a panel on "Surveillance and Security: Historical Perspectives in a Post-9/11 World." Given that time is so short, I have kept the panel theme broad. Presentations may include any historical discussion (on any time period in any context, national or otherwise) about state and non-state structures and mechanisms related to the control of suspect categories, in matters of criminal justice, policing, punishment, legal processing, immigration, poverty, and so on. The panel can function as a sort of historical contextualization to our present era, though no direct links and/or comparisons need to be made (unless you really want to).

Please email me if you wish to present a paper for the proposed panel. A title and a few lines of explanation will do. First come first served (though I will organize two panels should we get enough folks).

Should you already be on the program, let me know if you wish to be chair and/or discussant to this panel.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Mathieu

Mathieu Deflem, Associate Professor
University of South Carolina, Department of Sociology
911 Pickens Street, Sloan College 217
Columbia, SC 29208 USA | [log in to unmask]
tel. (803) 777 6596 | fax. (803) 777 5251
http://www.mathieudeflem.net/

Sociology of Law: Visions of a Scholarly Tradition
Cambridge University Press, February 2008 - http://www.socoflaw.net/

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************