On 25/02/2008, David Berry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 25/02/2008, Jaime Perea <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  > Ooops,
>  >
>  >  Shame on me, first posting and it was a mistake in the To: field.
>  >
>  >  Anyway, the problem is that SDSS spectra are log lambda spaced
>  >  instead of lambda. Then a previous scrunch is needed to allow
>  >  dipso to use those spectra.
>

> Looking at the dipso code, it would have expected it to be able to
>  handle log spaced data succesfully. I'd be interested in looking at at
>  example SDSS spectrum to see why dipso has problems with the log
>  spacing. Can you point me at one?

The problem is that the standard FITS-WCS headers do indeed describe a
linear coordinate system. They are obviously lying :-) Presumably the
correct WCS information is contained within some of the extra SDSS
headers that are not part of the FITS-WCS standard. It would be
possible of course to edit the headers to include standard FITS-WCS
keywords describing the WCS, in which case DIPSO would corectly pick
up the log axis. But if you are happy for the data to be resampled
onto a linear axis, it is probably easier to scrunch the data using
iraf as Jaime suggests. If you would prefer the data to retain its
logarithmic spacing, then I can let you know how to edit the headers
appropriately.

David