On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:13:42PM +0000, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:

> > Once linux distributions became popular and started shipping with
> > ImageMagick by default it may have been that Starlink should have just
> > bowed to the inevitable and changed the package name for CONVERT to
> > something else.
>
> It's not as if this has been a common complaint.  I'd be reluctant to
> change the command initialisation across the board given current
> resources.

And next someone like me would say, I use display from ImageMagick
more than I use its convert. And iff I initialised KAPPA beforehand
I would get the wrong display command and it would throw up on my
PNG data (perhaps not if I initialised convert also). Whether KAPPA
display was in the PATH or is an alias does not really come into it,
either way I would get the wrong one. The PATH gives actually less
fine control than aliases do. (With PATH you either prefer all of
/star/bin/kappa over any of /usr/bin or the other way round.)

--
  Horst Meyerdierks                 Royal Observatory Edinburgh
  Un*x/Network Manager                            [log in to unmask]