I sorted out the gaia and the sofi problem and I think the issue was as
Tim said - I could run gaia.csh from the command line - but without the
autoastrometry button at all - I think another user has mentioned this.

But I was sourcing /star/etc/login and I think this may have been
resetting something, so that commandline functions worked, but and
internal calls - like autoastrom or photm in gaia didn't. I suspect the
sofi script was a similar issue.

Thanks again for all your help.

--
Dr Sarah L Casewell				Email: [log in to unmask]
Xray and Observational Astronomy		Office: S1