I am also a fan of percent signal change.  The calculation can be tricky, and I think it is nicely
explained in Jeanette Mumford's document.

We use percent signal change in two ways. One is for potential biomarkers where we are looking
for differences between groups (usually clinical subjects and controls) in an ROI, or a set of ROIs.
In this case, the effect sizes in one or multiple ROIs enter into an image classification scheme to
check the sensitivity and specificity of the proposed biomarker.

The other way is to check for "reasonableness" of the estimated results. For example, most
cognitive experiments should show maximal contrasts of about 1% (except in visual cortex),
hence, if estimates for a single subject are much larger than that, then the estimates are likely to
be bad. Poor estimates can arise from head motion, or sporadic breathing patterns by the subject,
or sometimes from a poor design matrix that is ill-conditioned.

The ArtRepair toolbox for SPM includes an observational histogram of the distribution of
estimated contrasts over the entire brain. The answers come out in percent signal change, using
the same scaling properties as described in Jeannette's document. We use it as a quality check
that the estimated effect size results are reasonable for each subject.

  - Paul