Dear Jay,

I agree with John that it sounds like you probably want to do a
"standard" SPM analysis on "standard" PET data - just acquired with
microPET, so with smaller animals. For this kind of analysis, you
wouldn't need to segment your PET data into tissue classes at all. SPM
has been used for the analysis of ligand PET data (i.e. one scan/subject
- I guess that's what you are talking about) for a long time; as far as
I know the first applications were:

Koepp MJ et al. Cerebral benzodiazepine receptors in hippocampal
sclerosis. An objective in vivo analysis. Brain. 1996 Oct;119 ( Pt
5):1677-87.

Frey KA et al. Stereotaxic summation analysis of human cerebral
benzodiazepine binding maps. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 1996
May;16(3):409-17

These principles can easily be extended to longitudinal (e.g. paired,
tripled) scans; a recent example from our group would be:
Hammers A et al. Upregulation of opioid receptor binding following
spontaneous epileptic seizures. Brain. 2007 Apr;130(Pt 4):1009-16
and there are plenty of others.

The problem is not tissue class segmentation, but in your case getting
appropriate templates (average image datasets in a suitable standard
space) for spatial normalisation - I can't help you there but there
should be people on the list who can.

It would be helpful for them if you said which PET tracer you are
working with, and maybe you'll have to re-post your query as "SPM and
microPET with .....[ligand name]" to get the right attention.

Hope this helps a little,

Alexander