Thank you Sirs as the information was useful...
regards

On 1/31/08, Volkmar Glauche <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Niranjan Kambi,

SPM does not "decide" anything regarding spatial orientation itself.
Orientation is encoded in the image files (see a description of the
NIfTI file format) as a mapping from voxel coordinates within a 3D image
to world coordinates. If you are using SPM DICOM import, world
coordinate system usually corresponds to the scanner XYZ coordinate
system. You can modify this mapping by e.g. "Reorient Image" in Display
or CheckReg.
SPM templates and glass brain for human brains are stored in MNI space,
where the origin is at AC.

Volkmar