The CENTRE FOR RESEARCH ON FAMILIES AND RELATIONSHIPS (CRFR) is seeking
applications from excellent candidates for an ESRC PhD Studentship to
start in September 2008

Deadline for applications:  21st March 2008

CRFR is a consortium research centre, whose main office is at the
University of Edinburgh, with partners at other Scottish Universities. We
conduct, facilitate and disseminate high quality social research on
families and relationships. To learn more about CRFR and our postgraduate
community see http://www.crfr.ac.uk/index.htm

Applications from all social science disciplines are welcome but
particularly those from social policy and sociology, including sociology
of health and illness, concerning any area of research on any aspect of
families and/or relationships. We particularly encourage proposals that
involve quantitative secondary analysis of large data sets, both cross
sectional and longitudinal (for example the Growing up in Scotland study).
We would also welcome proposals that involve longitudinal qualitative data
collection and analysis. Applicants who want to use a qualitative or mixed
method approach can also apply.

Our current research is organised under five themes: children, young
people, families and relationships; government and services, families and
relationships; social inclusion, families and relationships; older people,
families and relationships; health and wellbeing, families and
relationships. We would welcome applications on any of these themes but
projects in the following areas would be of particular interest:
transmission of advantage and disadvantage; social and health inequalities
within and between families; grand-parenting and cross generational
relationships; practices of intimacy and varieties of living arrangements
particularly solo-living; the families and friendship relationships of
migrants; reproduction and fertility; parenting; older people; and rural
dimensions or rural/ urban comparisons with respect to any of these
topics.

Further details and the application process can be found on the CRFR
website http://www.crfr.ac.uk/index.htm

Vivien M Smith
Centre Manager
Centre for Research on Families and Relationships The University of
Edinburgh
23 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh
EH8  9LN