Dear Jon:  Somewhere I have seen and read at this piece, I believe, but so
very long ago that I could not and cannot remember it or its relevance.  I
think it may possibly have been printed in the Everyman's Library Laws of
Ecclesiastical Polity, but my copy is at my office on grounds (campus).  I
had better go find it, it seems exactly relevant to my more general point.
 The Catholics said you could have your cake and eat it too (sin and be
saved by the sacrament of penance, even post-mortem, and prayers for the
dead), the Calvinists said you could not--and besides, there wasn't any cake
to begin with.  Lewis' book is a true marvel (wherever one goes in one's
scholarship, on returning one finds Lewis sitting on one's doorstep).  And
Hooker has been characterized as a somewhat covert anti-Calvinist more
recently--i.e., as a free-will Protestant.  See, for example, Peter Lake,
Anglicans and Puritans? (1988).  As per usual, thank-you very much for your
rich questions and suggestions.  Gratefully, Jim N.

     On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:06:52 +0000
  [log in to unmask] wrote:
> James,
>
> Are you familiar with Richard Hooker's sermon "On Justification"?  I don't
>have ready access to it, and I read it many years ago, after a reference in
>C S Lewis's very wise account of Hooker in his OHEL volume.  I believe it
>speaks to the issue, alluding to the views of fiercely anti-Catholic
>reformers.  "I trust that God was gracious to save many of them," or words
>to that effect.
>
> Jon Quitslund
> emeritus, GWU

>From: James Broaddus <[log in to unmask]>
>>
>> In my belated attempt to acquaint myself with something of sixteenth
>>century
>> English attitudes toward Catholicism, I have run across brief references
>> those who, having lived in former times, were not exposed to the newly
>> recovered truths and were necessarily deluded by the false. My memory is
>> that the feeling was that some accommodation would be made so that those
>> departed fathers, mothers, grandmothers and grandfathers would not suffer
>> for beliefs they had grown up with.
>>

>> Could someone refer me to such references?
>>

>> Jim Broaddus
>>
>> --
>> Retired, Ind. State.Univ.
>> 2487 KY 3245