Sent: 21 February 2008 08:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Searching Outlook .msg files

Dear all,

I am investigating the issue of saving email to shared drives in Microsoft Outlook's default .msg format.  It would appear that unlike other Microsoft documents, the default Windows Explorer search function does not search the content of saved .msg emails.  The default search functionality only searches the file name.

Following some research, I have discovered that Microsoft have an add-in available to improve .msg searching (Microsoft Article ID: 917402).  This add-in lets you search all of the following elements of .msg files:

Message body
Subject
From
From name
From address
To name
To address
CC name
CC address
Doc title prefix
Sent date
Received date
Primary date
Conversation ID
Attachment names

I would be grateful for feedback from anyone out there who has experience of searching .msg files and more specifically if you have experience of applying the add-in mentioned above.

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

Gordon Hobbs | Information Manager | SPICe | The Scottish Parliament | Edinburgh | EH99 1SP

tel: 0131 348 6229 | fax: 0131 348 5050 | [log in to unmask] | www.scottish.parliament.uk

"For latest news and information about all aspects of Parliamentary business, MSPs and our work, visit the Parliament's website at http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/.

For information about how you can visit the Parliament, go to http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/visitingHolyrood/index.htm.

Watch Parliamentary business live at http://www.holyrood.tv/

The information in this e-mail transmission and any files or attachments transmitted with it are strictly confidential and may contain privileged information. It is intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your computer system and notify the sender as soon as possible.

While this e-mail message and attachments have been swept by the content filter software for the presence of computer viruses, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for damage sustained as a result of a virus. It is the recipient's responsibility to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect their systems or data or otherwise incur liability in law."