From: James A Malcolm [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thu 28/02/2008 08:54
To: Webb, Eileen
Cc: Plagiarism
Subject: Re: Interesting Turnitin problem

Webb, Eileen wrote:
> Jon
>
> I would suggest that if you gave someone a quote and they rephrased that
> quote so that a text-matching system such as Turnitin found no
> similarity then that person would successfully have put it into their
> own words.
>
> If this was one of my students I would probably be happy. if on reading
> the new reworded text it was relevant made sense and answered the
> question I would probably be happier still and consider they had learnt
> something. However, if they then told me they had used Turnitin
> repeatedly until the colour went away, I would suggest to them that
> there was a much more efficient way of doing it.

Eileen,

I have in the past reworded texts to avoid detection by Turnitin.  It is
not that hard.  If you would like to send me a sample quote I will
demonstrate.

I am a computer scientist, with a background in Physics, so a completely
different subject area to those would be good to make the challenge
worthwhile.

Actually I am on the side of the "educators" rather than the "police",
but the "police" do have a valid argument as I hope to demonstrate.

Looking forward to your reply!

jamesM

************************************************************************* You are subscribed to the JISC Plagiarism mailing list. To Unsubscribe, change your subscription options, or access list archives, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/PLAGIARISM.html *************************************************************************