Hi Gavin,

You might be aware of the paper:

Pedgley, O., & Wormald, P. (2007). Integration of Design Projects
within a Ph.D. Design Issues, 23(3), 70-85.

The authors cite and analyse a few completed PhD projects in Design.
They use the projects to support the idea that PhDs in Design can be
based on practice.

Cheers

The paper:
http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/desi.2007.23.3.70