I share your fears re quantity over quality.  Good luck with the advanced
Cert.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of JOSEPH BUGGY
Sent: 20 February 2008 13:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] CBT IN THE WORKPLACE

Agree with the comments by Chris - well answered
It is hard to do CBT well and easy to do it badly!
I am currently undertaking an Advanced Cert in CBT to run a Work
Related Stress Management clinic. I would not classify myself as a
CBT'er but will use CBT skills to add to existing counselling training
to address stress and aim for effective management of same
With the NICE guidelines and BOHRF guidance, there is an increase in
the use of CBT and an increase in the uptake of CBT training
However, this should be welcomed with caution - my fears is that there
will be quantity CBT without quality

Joseph

Joseph Buggy
Occupational Health Advisor
QEQMH
East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust
01843-234478 Direct
0r 01843-225544 Ext 62301

>>> [log in to unmask] 16/02/2008 17:10 >>>
Hi

a) because it is evidence based, goal focussed, problem solving,
solution
focussed - hence the patient sets the goals, the treatment works
toward
these.  Depression is lifted by increased activity; research indicates
that
medication is not the cure for anxiety as it is a cognitive distortion
-
which requires thoughts to be explored, identified and changed (by
behaviour).

b)any mental health symptom, could affect ability to work, therefore
addressing it, is a proactive approach to maintaining health and
avoiding
future absence.

c)CBT sessions are usually only 1 hour;  AN OH trained to use CBT
techniques
surely wouldn't be running a full therapy clinic? But instead, using
the
skills to establish the need for referral onto a fully qualified
therapist.

d) I hold a certificate in CBT and could practice but I do not think I
come
close to being as effective as the clinician who holds a degree and is
accredited in the subject.  Those that we employ are amazing to watch
work
and can get results in just a few sessions.  I use the techniques to
question effectively, task toward activities that benefit health, to
educate
about anxiety/depression/stress and to know when to make appropriate
referral onward to an accredited therapist.

e)yes

f) Most GP's we work with, are grateful for the opportunity to access
CBT

the courses offered to train OH's that I have seen only teach the
basics and
do not include supervised practice of skills.  Therefore according to
the
BABCP this would not make them practitioners of Cognitive Behavioural
Therapy.  Those that practice CBT under their own governing body
regulations
are required to have regular supervision. I don't see how an OHN could
accommodate this into the rest of their duties.

I am sure to have missed something out!
Chris