Thanks Patricia for the great gathering of several lines running though the feb discussion so
far and thanks for
the elaborate posts. . . Maybe this diversity and “thickness” also points to the theme
discussed, that only a
poly-vocal approach can grasp any subject?! Rhizomatic.

There is something I am wondering about though, and it has to do with the understanding of
an “original” or
something authentic as being almost something “negative”, something that does not seem to
fit in our culture
that constantly claims flows, migration, crossings.
I am wondering if the “original”, understood as something that also gives ground to some
degree, that has a
stable (fixed?!) content, shape, linearity, place, can take on something valuable. \
In times where everything seems FLEETING I am interested in what resists these flows. Is
there a residual?????
And what is it?

I am thinking for example of what Richard Sennet critically described in relation to work and
labour. The affects
of nomadic work that always includes a kind of “drifting”, sensation of placelessness and lack
of a ground.
I am also thinking about Miwon Kwon’s suggestion of the concept of “difference” that is
already inscribed in
capitalism. - Difference as a very product of capitalism.

If the poly-vocal, the mulitlayered, and distribution of a “source” is demanded in
contemporary culture, and
conforms perhaps to this idea of difference --- what are its consequences for the archive
and its discourse?

Patricia suggested that the artefact as a “concept that migrates” has RE-placed the artefact as
a physical object
that migrates --- but can it be that the artefact as a physical object has actually been DIS-
placed?

I would like to think about the authentic, for example expressed by the artist’s initial
intention and per/forming
of a work, as something that – as residue – certainly does in-form what comes after, or out
of it. As a practising
artist I might be concerned that the migratory effect can take over everything.

It’s still early morning, writing this post on a train, landscape passing by.

verina

PS
In relation to the overall discussion Jacques Ranciere's definition of the "distribution of the
sensible" might be
also worthwhile not to forget. having a voice, having no voice. who writes the text, who does
not write the text.
who is reading it, who does not read it. . .