Dear List,

At Morwellham Quay in West Devon, we have some cast iron T section bar rails, about 4in across the baseplate and the same high, with a lightly cambered railhead, 5/8in wide.  The fixings are via small square nail holes in projecting curved lugs from the base.  The full length is not known, but they are at least three feet long.  Examples have been seen in-situ on the riverside quays where I suspect they may be of 1820s-30s date, but we have no documentary evidence.
At King Edward Mine, Camborne, Cornwall; I saw a similar rail with paired fixing lugs at the extremities only (similar to some 1820s plate rail ends in S Wales), but no-one seems to know anything definite about them.

We seem to have an undated phase of edge railways at Morwellham, so providing a possible date range for these would be really useful.  Thanking you all in advance....

Robert Waterhouse, Morwellham Quay Archaeologist> From: [log in to unmask]> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: FW: Over-tub haulage> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:58:41 +0000> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of> John Shoebridge> Sent: 29 January 2008 00:11> To: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Over-tub haulage> > Hi Group> > Can anyone assist from their memories with any local names for the "lashing> chain" used to attach skips or tubs an "over-rope" haulage.> > Regards > John> > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.5/1279 - Release Date: 14/02/2008> 18:35> >
http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx