Dear Sharon Craig,

Not sure if this might assist you, but I am in the process of
researching birthing transition in thailand, and have also done some
work in health evaluation.

I think it is definitely useful to evaluate changes in perceptions after
'implementing an intervention' (in 'public health' speak!), because
perceptions influence behaviour, which influences demand etc.  I think
it is also useful to conduct 'discourse analysis' to gauge changes in
perceptions... this is something I have been doing, as birthing has
become overmedicalised in Thailand in the space of a generation.  It is
possible to note the complete change in 'views' of birthing, by
analysing the language people use when speaking about it.  There's a lot
of media analysis going on in the Department of Public Health at the
University of Sydney, may include a lot of recent attention to
caesareans, though this would probably be the converse of what you are
seeking - ie how negative attitudes are formed by exposure to popular
media.  I also remember hearing about media campaigns in Brazil,
promoting normal birth, however, that is not specific to your topic of
women's perceptions of midwifery/home birth... but might be of interest,
nevertheless.  I could suggest that the health promotion evaluation
literature may be useful on evaluation tools.

Anyone else add anything?

best wishes,
Penny