A change of subject, but one triggered by Soo's mention of 'The Memory
Keeper's Daughter'. I too was about to highlight this novel an example
of 'something' used to render the woman unconscious during the birth of
her twins.

I am interested in the use of novels as part of the reading list for
midwifery students.   I frequently recommend novels that I think
illustrate particular concepts or ideas for students.  I usually suggest
they read these novels when they have time after they have finished
their course, however I' m beginning to think about including some of
these on the reading lists that students are given.   Going some way
maybe to saying it's ok to be reading material other than text books.
What do other people think and what books would you suggest?

My most often suggested are, Vera Drake, The  Red Tent, Small Island and
maybe now The Memory Keepers Daughter.

Judith Sunderland

Midwifery Lecturer

020 7040 5490