In our midwifery courses at the University of Technology Sydney, we teach a subject called, 'The Meaning of Birth: Mothers, Babies and Midwives' which explores birth and motherhood through the arts. Below are some of the texts on the reading list that have not already been mentioned on this list.
Nicky

Texts related to learning through the arts:

Calman, K., & Downe, R. (1996). Why arts courses for medical curricula? Lancet, 347, 1499.

Coslett, T. (1991). Questioning the definition of ‘literature’: fictional and non-fictional accounts of childbirth. In J. Aaron & S. Walby. (eds.), Out of the margins: Women’s studies in the nineties. London: Falmer Press.

Grant, J. (1998). Humanities and midwifery. Practising Midwifey, 1, (11),41.

Leight, S.B. (2002). Starry night: using story to inform aesthetic knowing of women’s health nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 37,. (1), 108-114.

Pollock, D. (1999). Telling bodies performing birth: Everyday narratives of childbirth. New York: Columbia University Press.

Chester, L. (Ed.). (1989). Women writers on pregnancy and birth. Boston and London: Faber & Faber.

Novels/narratives
Atwood, M. (1987). The handmaid’s tale. London: Virago.

Baines, E. (1983). The birth machine. London: The Women’s Press.

Carey, P. (1994). A letter to our son. University of Queensland Press.

Chesler, P. (1979). With child: A diary of motherhood. New York:
Thomas Y. Crowell.

Courter, G. (1982). The Midwife. Harmondsworth. Penguin.

Courter, G. (1994). The midwife’s advice. Harmondsworth: Penguin.

Davis, L., Byrne, J., Cullen, S. (1992). Women in labour: 32 personal accounts of childbirth. Melbourne: The Text Publishing Company.

Dunham, C., Myers, F., Barnden, N., Mcdougal, A., Kelly, T.L., Aria, B. (1991) Mamatoto: A celebration of birth. London: Virago Press.

Johnson, S. (1999). A better woman: A memoir. Sydney: Random House.

Lamprell, K. (Ed.). (1991). The greatest adventure: Birth stories: A collection of personal experiences. North Ryde, NSW: Angus & Robertson.

Lessing, D. (1956. Republished 1977). A proper marriage. London: Granada.

Lette, K. (1993). Fetal attraction. Sydney: Picador.

McDonald, V. (1992). Speaking of birth: An Australian midwife talks with parents about childbirth. Newham, Victoria: Scribe Publications.

Morgan, S. (1987). My place. Fremantle, WA: Fremantle Arts Centre Press.

Nicholson, J. (1983) The heartache of motherhood. Ringwood, Victoria:
Penguin Books.

Olsen, T. (1960.republished 1980). Tell me a riddle. London: Virago. Modern Classics.

Rice, P.L. (1993). My forty days: Childbearing experiences of non-English speaking background women. Carlton: Centre for the Study of Mothers and Children. Monash University.

Sykes, R. (1997). Snake cradle: An autobiography of a black woman. St. Leonards, NSW: Allen & Unwin.

Walker, K. (1990). My people. Milton, Queensland: The Jacaranda Press.

Weldon, F. (1980). Puffball. London: Hodder & Stoughton.