medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture I don't know what is happening with my e-mail. I forwarded this same e-mail from Melchert 24 hours ago and wondered why it never showed up. I didn't realize at the time it had begun with M. Cormack. My copy came via Letizia Osti and Joseph Lowry. I had added my commentary.

My previous statement that execution for witchcraft and execution by burning was not the norm in the Islamic world during the European Middle Ages is up held by this post.

1. Twelver's are a Shi'a minority who are themselves a minority.
2. The story is "shocking." This is to say that the execution for sorcery is unusual.
3. The Hanbali are one of the four major schools of jurisprudence and generally regarded as the strictest. The Wahabbis in Saudi are of the Hanbali school. We already established that they have executed at least once for sorcery. But their rules do not represent a majority position, nor that of much of the middle ages as they were the last school established.
4. Ibn Qudamah is also a Hanbali.
5. There is exactly one account here of an execution for witchcraft and it is "shocking." The rest is the expressession of opinions by jurisprudents (fiqh) who are not themselves judges or lawyers.
6. The most likely scenario would be that some would be beheaded for "unbelief" even if the real reason for the execution was witchcraft or sorcery. Not that this is any more civilized.

If this sounds preachy, I'm sorry, but we should not judge the majority practice or belief by single, unususal actions. Most Chrisitans would not want to be judged by the actions of Paul Hill nor want his theology to be seen as the norm among Christians. Even if we had ten examples of execution for witchcraft, this would not establish this as the norm.

V. K. Inman

Sorry this came in a round about fashion.