Anders Fröjmark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:I would be most grateful for any suggestions of books or articles dealing with women's reading and education in the Middle Ages, and particularly in the fourteenth century. Together with a colleague, I am looking into the background of women who held political and/or religious power in late medieval times. What kind of education, formal or informal, had they? What books could a young princess have been acquainted with? What, as a general, do we know about the education of girls in that period?

  Respondeo:

  Dare I suggest my own article, "Educating Heloise" in Medieval Monastic Education, Edited by George Ferzoco and Carolyn Muessig, Leicester University Press, 2000, pages 105-116. There are other articles in the book touching on the same subject.

  Bill.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]