Sherry reported a message from an advocacy group saying:
>Today, three martyred saints named Valentine (or Valentinus)
>are officially recognized. The legend behind the most
>plausible Valentine to have inspired our romantic holiday
>relates to a martyred holy man who defied the power of the
>Roman Empire and paid with his life. His cause: the
>injustice of denying some the right to marry.

Advocacy group: let me guess. A group advocating that certain persons have, or ought to have, the right to marry the person of their choice regardless of current laws that make such marriages illegal or irregular.

And not that dragging in saints of one's choice to add legitimacy to one's cause is exactly a *NEW* phenomenon, mind you!

Still, that's a twist I hadn't heard before.

0  Chris Laning
+  Davis, California
http://paternoster-row.org  -  http://paternosters.blogspot.com

to: [log in to unmask]