Hi Jeremy,

As part of the National Museums Online Learning Project we are
developing a federated search across the nine partner national museums.
This will be implemented in both strands of the project being WebQuests
(for school learners) and Creative Journeys (for lifelong learners). So
you can understand that an API is very much core to this for us.

We currently have a working prototype for this and I would be happy to
discuss this further if you'd like to contact me directly.

Regards,

Terry

Terry Makewell
Technical Manager
National Museums Online Learning Project

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 020 7942 2819

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/02/2008 12:29 >>>
Dear all,

Some of you will know of the European Digital Library, an EC project
that is currently in a prototyping phase (known as EDLnet
http://www.europeandigitallibrary.eu/edlnet/). It is part of the wider
Digital Libraries Initiative
(http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/wh
at_is_dli/index_en.htm) and shortly after that I get lost in the maze
of
EC projects, initiatives, directorates etc. Anyway, its final form is
up
in the air, but essentially it is hoped that it will aggregate digital
content from museums, libraries and archives across Europe. Quite what
will be held, the technical architecture, how the content will be
accessed and maintained and many other questions are working their way
through the system, but one day it may offer a partial solution to
cross-collection searching, at least for a subset of European-owned
material. Apologies to those who know more about this subject, I'm
almost certain I've misrepresented it!

I got interested in the project when I attended a meeting late last
year, at which the organisers were brainstorming user requirements and
ideas for the interface. I went along with a particular axe to grind,
which was the need for an API. The basic rationale was that EDL will
have limited appeal for users if they have to go to a single portal
site
to search, whereas it would serve a lot more people if it was the
engine
behind many sites scattered around the web. For organisations that
might
contribute content to the central repository, too, it would be a far
more attractive proposition if they knew that they could then access
the
data themselves, embed EDL functionality in their sites or mash it up
with mediating content, maps etc. EDL could act as a sophisticated
online collections database for a small museum that could never
countenance building its own search engine, much as one can embed
google
site search into your own page at present. This would be good for EDL
because it could be quite a strong motive for contributing content.
Overall I think that an API could actually be much more useful than a
"portal" website.

So to the purpose of this e-mail. An upcoming EDL "users and
usability"
meeting, in March, will be looking more closely at the subject of
APIs,
and in preparation for this I was hoping to get some thoughts from the
MCGers about:

*	whether and why an API would be useful to them, or influence
their decision on whether to contribute content to EDL
*	what features might prove useful
*	any examples of APIs or of their application that they think
provide a model for what EDL's API could offer or enable

It would be nice to feel I could represent the thoughts of a good
portion of the practitioners in the UK, or at least more than myself
alone. Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Jeremy Ottevanger
Web Developer, Museum Systems Team
Museum of London Group
46 Eagle Wharf Road
London. N1 7ED
Tel: 020 7410 2207
Fax: 020 7600 1058
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
Museum of London is changing; our lower galleries will be closed while
they undergo a major new development. Visit www.museumoflondon.org.uk to
find out more.
London's Burning - explore how the Great Fire of London shaped the city
we see today www.museumoflondon.org.uk/londonsburning

15 March - 13 July 2008 at V&A South Kensington
Book now on www.vam.ac.uk/chinadesignnow

Space Age: Exploration, Design and Popular Culture at V&A Museum of Childhood
24 November 2007 - 6 April 2008
Admission Free

Keep in touch - visit www.vam.ac.uk and sign up for our regular e-newsletter

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only
for the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or disclosure of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by telephone on 020 7942 2353. This message has been scanned for viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.