***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***

Colleagues/

I Need To Tap The Wisdom-Of-The-Web ...

I am interested in the Similarities / Differences of the following related Web-phenomena:

=Online Communities

=Online Social Networks

=Virtual Communities of Practice

I am also interested in Any and All Significant ***Examples*** And/Or  ***Research*** about

>>Virtual Communities of Practice<<

>>Online Communities<<

[I Have Online Social Networks More/Less Covered[:-)]

BTW: I am aware of the Most Excellent Work of danah boyd [ http://www.danah.org/ ]

===NOTE: I am particularly interested in examples/research in Science / Technology 'Communities' [especially Chemistry / Physics ] ===

---IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE COMMENT ON THE BLOG ENTRY AT---

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2008/02/similaritiesdifferences-of-communities.html ]

I  Will Post A Summary Later This Month

Thanks!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

There is Nothing More Powerful Than  An Idea Whose Time Has Come
Victor Hugo
[ http://www.blogger.com/profile/09093368136660604490 ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows ...
[ http://www.alternativeenergyblogs.blogspot.com/ ]