Yes I agree with Colin, just check with the donor if it is purchased by them or the Trust as an institutional copy.  Not sure in the situation when the journal is sent by the publisher to an individual but it was unsolicited though?

Chris

Library Services Manager

SBPCT

From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Engel, Colin
Sent: 28 February 2008 10:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: copyright question

The fact of donation makes no difference in terms of observing the normal rules of copyright.  Where concern can arise is whether the item had initially been acquired from the publisher as a “member’s copy” at a discounted price or as part of a package of members’ rights.  In this instance the Library should not have accepted the copy in the first place.

Colin Engel, Deputy Library Manager

Clinical Library Service, 1st Floor C Block

Russells Hall Hospital

Dudley DY1 2HQ

Tel. 01384 321084 (Internal:ext.1084)

We provide the following services:

Document delivery, journal and book collections in electronic and hard copy. Training courses in knowledge retrieval, literature search services, enquiry service.

National Library for Health: http://www.library.nhs.uk

Library catalogue available on Trust Intranet.: http://libcat.dudley.nhs.uk/amlibweb