Adam,

I am not really familiar with talis, but presumably one way would be to
import marc records generated from the database. In which case I would
recommend the delimited text translator in marcedit

http://oregonstate.edu/~reeset/marcedit/html/index.php

Which allows you to generate marc from any csv (or other types of
delimited file - the default is tabbed), and is free and easy to use. So
all you need is a database that can generate a text delimited file,
which is most of them (my experience is limited to MS Access, MS SQL and
mysql).

HTH

Alan

Alan Brown
Library Systems Liaison Officer
Resource Services
Bury Libraries
Textile Hall
Manchester Rd
Bury
BL9 0DG
Tel 0161 253 5877
Fax 0161 253 6003
http://www.bury.gov.uk/libraries
http://library.bury.gov.uk

---snip---
Our new Professor of Film wants to do a three year research project on a
documentary film collection using database software to create a bespoke
and very detailed catalogue.  At the end of the project we will then
need to harvest the records and transfer key fields to our Talis system.
We obviously want to be sure this will be as painless as possible.

He is happy with what ever software we suggest, so we are hoping someone
out there has done this or something similar before and can therefore
offer advice on what might be best.

Suggestions and comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam
---snip---
Why not visit our website www.bury.gov.uk
The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted
with it is for the intended recipient(s) alone. It may contain
confidential information that is exempt from the disclosure under
English law and may also be covered by legal,professional or other privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance on it.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by using
the reply facility on your e-mail system.
If this message is being transmitted over the Internet, be aware that it may be
intercepted by third parties.
As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this e-mail or any
response to it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 unless the information
in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act. By responding to this
e-mail you accept that your response may be subject of recording/monitoring to
ensure compliance with the Council's ICT Security Policy.
Electronic service accepted only at [log in to unmask] and on fax number
0161 253 5119 .