CIBER report on the Google Generation

Hello all

I think this discussion points to an interesting dilemma, certainly for HE librarians, that strikes at the heart of our dual roles as service providers and, increasingly, educators. As service providers we want our electronic services to be as simple to use as possible, minimising the barriers between users and information. As educators, we want students (and academics!) to be able to distinguish critically between different types of information.

What I’m getting at is that we can make the search interfaces as simple as possible, but the information being found through that simple interface is often of a far more complex nature. We know our users think information is “just stuff”, but to what extent should we just accept that as opposed to encouraging our users to recognise the very real (for now, at least) distinctions between different types of information? So a search engine finds content from ejournals, ebooks, organisational websites, and all the rest – if a student has no concept of the differences between those things (indeed, the report suggests they can’t even distinguish between the information and the search engine itself), how are they going to evaluate them properly, use them correctly, or cite them properly in their work (that latter might sound like a pedantic librarian thing, but is actually a major concern amongst the academics with whom I liaise).

When it comes to academic information resources (and no, I’m not going to attempt a definition of that term!), it seems to me that information resources can only be simplified so far. In terms of information literacy, we need to focus even more on the evaluative side of things, and, I believe, to hammer home the point that it’s not all “just stuff”.

What do others think?

Martin

Martin Wolf, Arts Faculty Librarian,

Sydney Jones Library, University of Liverpool,

Chatham Street, Liverpool. L69 3DA