From the work we have done, would certainly agree that "little time is
spent in evaluating information, either for relevance, accuracy or
authority" However although this is generally the case there are some
examples of good practice out there.

developed during "formative school years" and called for them to be
"really [put] on the agenda"

The Scottish Information Literacy Project is working in precisely these
and other related areas in Scotland. We have petitioned the Scottish
Parliament "to ensure that the national school curriculum recognises the
importance of information literacy as a key lifelong learning skill'
have had discussions with the Curriculum for Excellence team who are
working on a new 3 - 18 years curriculum and are working with Learning
and Teaching Scotland, the lead organisation for curriculum development
in Scotland, who offer support and guidance to teachers, early years
practitioners, schools and education authorities to help improve
achievement for all.

We have developed a draft information literacy framework, with
cross-sector partners linking primary, secondary and tertiary education
to lifelong learning including workplace and adult literacies agendas.
The aim is to produce secondary school leavers with a skill set which
further and higher education can recognise and develop or which can be
applied to the world of work directly. The draft is currently being
piloted and we plan to collect exemplars of good practice to demonstrate
and inform all sectors of education and lifelong learning from
practitioners to officials of the work that is and can be done and can
be replicated and built upon.

Re Debra Hiom's Intute Blog - she comments that

This sort of search behaviour has implications for libraries and online
information services. They need to get to grips with building simpler,
more intuitive systems, presenting users directly with the information
and as the report rightly suggests, move away from "counting hits to
watching users" in order to be able to improve the services offered.

Would agree with Debra that systems need to be intuitive but would
caution "presenting users directly with the information" if this means
spoon feeding people, as people need to be able to find information for
themselves. A lot of the present problems of pupils and students not
evaluating information, either for relevance, accuracy or authority is a
result of pupils being spoon fed information either through teachers
feeling under pressure or teachers not having these skills themselves to
reinforce any information literacy session pupils may have had with a
school librarian or integrate information literacy with their subject.

Our voices all need to be heard on the importance of information
literacy and we need to collaborate on a cross sector basis and with
other professionals and officials in education and lifelong learning.

Christine

Christine Irving BA (Hons), MCLIP, MSc

Research Assistant / Project Officer (part-time)

The Scottish Information Literacy Project

Learner Support

Glasgow Caledonian University

Room RS305, (3rd Floor)

6 Rose Street

Glasgow G3 6RB

Tel: 0141 273 1249

e-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

project website: www.caledonian.ac.uk/ils/

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential to the
intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.
It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee,
nor may it be copied in any way.   If received in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete it from your system.   The contents of
this message may contain personal views which are not the views or
opinions of Glasgow Caledonian University, unless specifically stated.