Andy,

> But as John said microsoft are to be applauded for choosing
> to use this mechanism for student verification (sic), it
> would have been nice, though,  to have had a "heads up" that
> this was coming, were JISC or JANET expecting this or was it
> as much a surprise as it was to me (who received a service

When you get *really* famous, Bill will give you a personal call on your
mobile to let you know what he's going to do, before he actually does
it.  The next time he calls me for advice, I'll try and let you know in
time too ;->

> desk call for this "unreleased service" at 1106 on the 19th -
> how the hell does some student know what an IdP is,  I thought).

I understand that, at some of the less prestigious institutions, a small
minority of students have adopted this quaint habit of reading things...
on the Internet... ;->

John