>>> On 21/02/2008 at 13:40, in message
<[log in to unmask]>, Simon Bilton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have also had a quick "play" with this and think I've found an issue to
> beware of for anyone considering testing.

> It seems that the Windows Live (or alternative) account is linked somehow to
> the institutional login and the data therein for this 12 month period, so be
> careful!!

Yes, I'd noticed that with irritation - there doesn't seem to be a way of de-linking a windows live account from the one used against the IdP - I now have a growing collection of windows live IDs :-)  Each ID is associated against different dundee credentials.

But my experience was slightly different to Simons - I didn't find any difference in the verification whatever SAML attributes are asserted (or not).  That includes populating ePSA with "member student",  "member staff" _and_ absolutely nothing at all - i.e. no attributes passed.   With all 3 I was congratulated on successfully verifying as a student and have just gone on to confirm that I can actually download stuff (thanks microsoft for that copy of VC++ :-), and that's with the man who had no assertions!

> (Note:- This information is only speculation based on a quick play and should
> be treated accordingly.)

Same caveat applies.

But as John said microsoft are to be applauded for choosing to use this mechanism for student verification (sic), it would have been nice, though,  to have had a "heads up" that this was coming, were JISC or JANET expecting this or was it as much a surprise as it was to me (who received a service desk call for this "unreleased service" at 1106 on the 19th - how the hell does some student know what an IdP is,  I thought).

Cheers
Andy