Alistair Young wrote:

> I am the exact same person whether I login via Athens or the fed.

True, but because the route is different, the application doesn't
know that.  It could be made to know, by building in support for linking
of accounts and making the user do the linking, but it doesn't.

> [...] existing Digimap users who wish access via the UK federation
> will have to re-register for Digimap, and will be given a
> new Digimap account.

AIUI, that's a policy rather than a technical decision, and was the
same policy applied to Athens->AthensDA transitions.

Fiona.