Paul Bromley wrote:
> Hardly optional though if we have a large chunk of cash deducted for
> not doing it. We have already paid to get rid of OOH and then get
> this. Someone will next confirm that we need to maintain the same
> working conditions as 'in hours' - i.e. deal with phone, emergencies,
> visits. drop-ins at the surgery ete, and all of the unexpected stuff
> that makes the average day a nightmare.
>
> If it is optional with no financial penalty then none of us would
> touch it. I was doing PAID OOH until 12 months ago to supplement my
> income, but decided with the tax hit that it was not economically
> worth it.
>
> Paul Bromley.

There is no connection with the money lost and the money you will gain
from doing the DES. There is a tendency to think of it as "your" money,
but it isn't. You will lose for doing the daytime stuff whatever happens.

You have three choices.
1. Go home and lump it
2. Do the DES for less than £50 an hour before tax and pension. Locums
get more than this.
3. Do something else to get the cash. Insurance reports or medicals,
locuming, doing OOH shifts, doing a shift in A&E. All of these are
likely to pay better than the extended hours DES.

Personally I would get about £34 an hour under the DES. Pension is 21.5%
and tax is 40%. My wife would get quite cross if I went out for £16
(take home) an hour on Saturday mornings.