A negotiated settlement enables GPC to get others things through on A option than would be possible under B. B means that GPC loses negotiation rights for far longer than this short term issue.
B means the loss of national negotiations on GP contracting IMHO
Gillian

From: GP-UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Miller
Sent: 15 February 2008 12:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: flexible working and extended hours: wots the truth please?! from confused.

On 15/02/2008, Fay Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The DES (which no-one in their right mind would do whether Option A or B
is passed)

So, increasingly it sounds like as we are going to get A or B imposed regardless, we agree with the GPC that A is the least worst of the two options, because it does not remove points from QOF, and then when imposed we just don't do it as it is not economically sensible to do so.

Which means we lose a bit of money, and the government will fail to deliver on their promise.  And the PCOS will get in a tizz and have to do something that makes at least 50% of practices actually offer the service, or they get into trouble.  So, effectively, we get A, don't do it, and then re-negotiate terms locally?

It is hard to see how PCTs could go elsewhere with A.  Using alternative providers to supply GMS style care solely in extended hours would be expensive and inefficient, and probably not what the punters want.  I hope.

Much easier then in future years to move QOF around again, if and when it becomes apparant how crap the whole idea was. But much harder to have QOF points returned after they are removed.

Though, yet again, I could be mis-interpreting the whole thing....