Its not good that they didnt communicate with you, but, I have to agree that
all staff should be using universal precautions and so I dont think there is
much your nurse can do.
I must admit I have always found phlebotomy difficult with gloves on, and
have sometimes cut the finger tip off one to allow me to palpate for a vein.
Such a huge population of my patients have been hep C pos, and IV drug users
that I eventually got fed up and wrote a policy that allowed them to take
their own blood, which protected me and meant that those with difficult
access, could hit the spot in one attempt, (when it may take me several)
I dont know if thats relevent, or helpful, but I really should state that
the risk from hep c is far greater to us lot than HIV which is actually
quite hard to pass on through blood spills, Hep C virus can live outside the
body for ages whereas HIV really needs to be passed on quite directly.
If in doubt, test, retest.
If shes worried and I can help she is welcome to give me a buzz.
Jen