Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session “Crystallography of petrologically significant minerals: a tribute to Thomas Armbruster" at the Goldschmidt Conference to be held in Vancouver, Canada, July 13-18, 2008. The session is to honor Thomas Armbruster on the occasion of his being awarded the Dana Medal by the Mineralogical Society of America. The session is within the Conference Theme 7: Experimental Petrology. Frank Hawthorne will deliver the keynote for the session; Darrell Henry and Joel Brugger are invited speakers.

We welcome presentations on any aspect of crystal chemistry of minerals and their synthetic analogues and on rocks as chemical systems, both in nature and in the laboratory. Understanding the crystal structures of individual minerals that compose Earth materials is a prerequisite to understanding the chemical and physical properties of these materials over the range of pressures and temperatures encountered in the Earth.

Oral and poster presentations are both welcome.

The abstract deadline of March 1, 2008 is fast approaching. Accepted abstracts will be published in Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. Information on Goldschmidt 2008 can be found at <http://www.goldschmidt2008.org/>.

Sincerely,

Ed Grew
Lee Groat

Edward S. Grew