Hi Donna,

This reminds me of the reviewer comment I once got that block designs
were obsolete since event-related designs were now possible. Nonsense
of course.

Given i) the widespread use of affine transformations, ii) the fact
that since they warp low-resolution functional data to a blurry
average template, most studies aren't going to see any advantage in
nonlinear transformations, I think the justification for continued use
of affine transformations is at least as strong as for continued use
of average template-based analysis of group data. Now, the argument
can be (and has been) made that such average template methods are
deeply flawed, but somehow I don't think it would be reasonable for
such techniques to be banished overnight.

Just my 5p.

-Tom

--
School of Psychology and CLS