marty norden's musings provoke two musically oriented observations

1.  opera audiences [and often ballet audiences too] as a matter of
course read a plot synopsis BEFORE going to the performance  -- and this
because the interest is not at all in what happens [in "plot"] but in
how it's acted out or performed . . . and years ago, in the heyday of
continuous showing double features, audiences showed up at the theater
when they wanted to and stayed till the point at which they had entered,
thereby often watching the end of one film before the beginning . . .
both of these - the first more powerfully, i think -- suggest ways of
viewing close to the ones marty mentions from 90 years ago . . . and of
course these ways are still with us:: we certainly don't listebn to
songs - or, for that matter watch music videos - to see how they turn
out

2.  a much more trivial point:  i've been pretty familiar with the music
scene in london for years [despite living in the states] and know of no
venue called "philharmonic hall"  . . . the halls in use a century ago
also, so far as i know, did not include a "philharmonic hall" - and
indeed the london philharmonic orchestra was not founded until much
later . . .  there was, however, a philharmonic hall in liverpool dating
from the mid 19th century. and it was used both for music and for cinema
. . .  perhaps that's where   _Where Are My Children?_ played for three
weeks in 1917 . . . or was there a since destroyed hall by that name in
london in 1917?

mike