ravi's note, reproduced below, raises a fascinating question . . . if my
purpose in this silent cinema course is to examine how moving images can
work to communicate meaning in the absence of spoken dialogue, and if my
circumstances [shared, i venture, by most of us] do not permit me to
provide a benshi, how honest a representation of a film like this one
can i offer? . . . if in some sense the film was made presupposing a
benshi, is showing it without one a significant misrepresentation? . .

of course i understand that the circumstances of viewing in our modern
institutions are never the same  -- probably cannot be the same -- as
they were originally . . . still i suspect that some changes are more
radical than others  . . . perhaps, just by way of
illustration/suggestion, we might say that watching "maltese falcon" on
a TV screen rather than projected in a theatrical space misrepresents
that film less than would watching it in a theater but with the sound
track turned off . . .

put differently, unless we buy into the romantic essentialism of the new
critics - that every work [of "art"] is an organic whole and that any
change at all is deadly -- we're likely to want to say that some changes
do more to harm and/or misrepresent some original version more than
others

in more practical terms, would i be doing my students a disservice by
showing mizoguchi's film without a benshi?

thoughts???

mike

------------------------------------

Mike,

You might like to include -- Kenji Mizoguchi's 'The Water Magician'

In July 2007 the Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema, New Delhi
showed this

rare film accompanied by an extraordinary benshi performance (by a woman
benshi

from Japan). The presence of the benshi totally transformed the
experience of

this masterpiece of a silent film - that's how the audience must have
seen the

film when it was made, not as it happens with silent film screenings
these

days, in a kind of deathly silence.

*
*