Considering that filmmakers in the silent days probably never
anticipated the longevity of their product - not least through
academic discussion and scrutiny -, and also considering how much
flexibility was allowed in how and in which order films and programmes
were compiled and shown, I guess they would grant present-day forms of
screening some leeway. I doubt exact viewing conditions could be
reproduced, though students would obviously benefit from knowing in
which ways cinema-going and the experience of film was different.

Henry

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon