Hello

I can't help Angela directly very much, but I do know that the Scottish
government has recently commissioned a research project asking this very
question. The projected outcome from this project will be a handbook for
ESOL teachers (specifically in Scotland, but probably relevant to others
elsewhere) giving guidance on available diagnostic assessments,
placement tests and the like. The timescale for the project is tight
(now to end of March), so I expect something will be published later
this year. I'll forward more info if/when I hear anything.

For what it's worth, here are a couple of bits of info:
OUP's Oxford Placement Tests are widely used:
http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/isbn/7160?cc=gb

If you follow the link to 'exams' on that page, you can find info about
the OUP's Quick Placement Test, a Computer Adaptive Test (CAT)

This paper will help you evaluate a test if you find one:
Wall, D., C. Clapham and J. C. Alderson (1994) 'Evaluating a placement
test.' Language Testing 11/3, 321-344.

A short article in IATEFL's testing evaluation and assessment SIG
magazine, available for free download, is a rough and ready guide to
evaluating placement tests - sound and solid advice:
http://www.teasig.com/Proper%20Place.DOC
This article is by Dave Allan, who wrote the Oxford Placement Tests.

James