Hello all
Last Thursday we had a very interesting meeting of the ESOL Research
Group here in Leeds, led by my colleague Simon Borg. The summary of the
session is below, and I also promised to forward the handouts and the
.ppt slides, which are attached to this message.
Cheers
James

*****
Teachers' views of research in English language teaching
Simon Borg
University of Leeds
*****
What does 'research' mean to language teachers and what role does it
play in their professional lives? I have been asking teachers of English
around the world these questions and in this session I will discuss some
of their answers. More specifically, I will consider the following
questions:

According to teachers, what counts as research?
How do teachers judge the quality of research?
To what extent do teachers say they read and do research, and why?
How do teachers rate the research culture of their institutions?

Teachers' answers to these questions provide interesting insights into
their views about research; they also help us understand why, for many
teachers, research seems to be an irrelevant activity which is remote to
their professional concerns.

After considering the answers to the above questions, I will consider
their implications; one key question for discussion relates to the
conditions which need to exist to enable teachers to engage productively
with and in research.

----------------
Dr James Simpson
School of Education
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
UK
http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff.php?staff=39
+44 (0)113 343 4687

Visit the ESOL Research home page:
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~edujsi/

Join the ESOL-Research discussion list:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to