A frustrating issue, but however much we would like to imagine it does, ESOL Level 2 does not guarantee that a speaker of other languages has the same language skills as a native speaker with a GCSE, in reality.
If we are honest, we really only need to consider how many native speakers of English would be competent to cope in the Sorbonne with nothing more than GCSE level French.

IELTS does at least indicate competence to deal with what will be thrown at learners on their university courses – just taking the course is often of benefit to learners who have not attended any other non-ESOL courses in UK.
It seems unfair that we are losing the pathway we fought so hard to retain, but the only solution for our students really may now be to take a GCSE in English Literature or Language.

This has been done successfully in the past. A programme I used to work on enabled ESOL learners to take GCSE / AS Level Maths as well - if they were up to it. The college quite liked getting the funding for that, negotiated in advance with the local LSC – and – of course - the good results.
We found this eased transition into university where that was what they wanted. Some learners did, in fact, prefer to take AS and A Levels, no matter their level of education, either as warm-ups for the rusty, or as a way of accessing the different curricula and ways of doing things here, (for those with higher quals from their country of origin).
Not everyone is in an enormous hurry, some do prefer to take their time and may do better as a result.

There comes a point when our learners hit the real world and are in direct competition with native speakers – however hard it is for us to take losing these interesting areas of work. There is always the chance to work across the curriculum and team-teach or job-share with the GCSE teachers – also works well and breaks down some of the barriers ESOL comes up against.

I think we need to be sure of our ground and to be scrupulously honest when we argue for things as beneficial for our learners. If we are looking for funded routes to higher education for our students, these may have to lie outside the scope of ESOL.

Sadly,

Frances