Sent on behalf of Michael Bromby
British and Irish Law, Education and Technology Association
Annual Conference
27-28 March 2008

Glasgow Caledonian University

Extended Call for Abstracts and Stream Convenors
By 15 February 2008

“Law Shaping Technology; Technology Shaping the Law”

Security and privacy of our personal information is becoming a central theme with the rise in social networking technologies and user generated content. Have sites such as Facebook and YouTube responded in a timely and effective manner to safeguard our data, whilst promoting our rights to free speech? Technology to combat crime, and technology used to assist in crime will also be a central theme of the conference, along with other technology issues currently facing the legal profession and legal education.

The keynote Speakers are Professor David Wall of the Centre for Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Leeds who will be speaking on ‘Cybercrime’ and David Flint of MacRoberts in Glasgow will speak on ‘Technology, Media and practitioners’.

The conference dinner will be preceded by a drinks reception at the City Chambers on George Square and followed by a Ceilidh - so dig out your dancing shoes!

The conference will also include an e-learning seminar delivered by the UKCLE on Mobile Learning with John Mayer of CALI in Chicago at the principal speaker. Further details about this seminar are on the conference website above, and at www.ukcle.ac.uk/newsevents/ukcle.html <http://www.ukcle.ac.uk/newsevents/ukcle.html>

Proposals are welcome for novel streams and expressions of interest to convene a stream in any of the following areas:
Social networking
Web 2.0 & Law 2.0
Criminal Justice
Technology & Crime
Privacy and data protection
Legal Education
Copyright and IPR
Security and protection

Abstracts of approx 500 words are still welcome in pdf or word format to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  before 15 Feb 2008.  Full papers accepted and presented at the conference will be put forward for peer-review or special editions of journals in the areas of law, technology and education.

There will be a prize-winning competition for the best Postgraduate Student Paper presented at the conference. Full papers accepted and presented at the conference will be put forward for peer-review or special editions of journals in the areas of law, technology and education.
Further conference details are available online at http://www.gcal.ac.uk/bileta2008/

The conference will be using the Digital Directions blog, so please feel free to comment at http://ukcle.typepad.com/digital_directions/ <http://ukcle.typepad.com/digital_directions/> I will encourage stream convenors and the keynotes to use this site too.

We look forward to seeing you there

For further information contact Michael Bromby <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Bromby
Centre for Forensic Statistics and Legal Reasoning
Division of Law
Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow G4 0BA

Tel +44 (0)141 331 8780
Fax +44 (0)141 331 3798

Home: http://www.bromby.vze.com <http://www.bromby.vze.com//ohttp://www.bromby.vze.com/>
Centre: http://www.cfslr.ed.ac.uk//ohttp://www.cfslr.ed.ac.uk/ <http://www.cfslr.ed.ac.uk//ohttp://www.cfslr.ed.ac.uk/> http://www.cfslr.ed.ac.uk <http://www.cfslr.ed.ac.ukblog/>
Blog: http://www.ukcle.typepad.com//ohttp://www.ukcle.typepad.com/ <http://www.ukcle.typepad.com//ohttp://www.ukcle.typepad.com/> http://www.ukcle.typepad.com <http://www.ukcle.typepad.comconf/>
Conf: http://ww.gcal.ac.uk/bileta2008 <http://ww.gcal.ac.uk/bileta2008>

BILETA-NEWS is an email list created to keep you up to date about BILETA events.
Members of the BILETA executive are the only ones that can post to the list.
Please visit our web site at http://www.bileta.ac.uk for more information.