________________________________

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Jordan
Sent: 28 February 2008 10:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Anti depressants 'of little use'

Imagine a society that views ritual self- disembowelment as the most
honourable and glorious form of death.  Then imagine that someone
developed and died of a similarly agonising assault to the intestines
(appendicitis), only this time it didn't appear to be freely willed.
This could easily be viewed as a divinely ordained version of
disembowelment - even more glorious, in fact the most glorious death of
all.  Hence the notion of appendicitis as a pathology is socially
constructed.

Tim Anstiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

	I only understood every second word of the below, at a push,
which probably says more about me than the author.

	But help me out here (being a simple doctor), in what way is a
red, inflamed, swollen, painful, about to burst and cause peritonitis
and possibly death appendix (aka appendicitis) a social construction?

	I understand appendicitis is a label, and I understand it is
shorthand - is this what you mean by "social construction"? - or do you
mean something else above and beyond this?

	Tim

	David Fryer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

		Hi Craig,

		I think the phrase "the conditions problematically
diagnosed as depression" is useful because it avoids the
over-simplification and depoliticisation of the position you appear to
take in this email. The phrase leaves room to acknowledge that
depression is diagnosed i.e. is socially constructed with all the
involvement of interest groups that implies, that it is problematic as a
diagnosis (in the narrow sense that it is quite different from e.g. a
diagnosis of appendicitis - though that is also a social construction
too of course) and problematic in the wider sense to which Carl Walker
alerts us that depression may be a phenomenological and embodied
manifestation of  societal and political phenomena but it is still
dreadful,  destructive and very 'real' for people manifesting it and not
in any useful sense just 'part of the human condition' (a positioning
which naturalises it and makes it seem inevitable) but a direct
consequence of oppressive forms of political, economic and social
organization which are not inevitable and could be changed by collective
decision.

		David

change your details visit the website:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems
or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on
[log in to unmask] or Grant Jeffrey on [log in to unmask]