Alison

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:07:12 +0000From: [log in to unmask]: Re: Lisbon Olympus and CPUK Logo (conflicting views)To: [log in to unmask]
Sorry to go off at a tangent but have got interested in Psyche - our problems with getting social justice and community on the psychology agenda may be more long standing that I had realised. Reading up on her - I think the lamp in the BPS logo must be a reference to her breach of her promise not to look at- her unseen - darkness only - lovers face. Its a earlier version of the apple in the garden of Eden? If only women would keep their promises?  Whilst having a look she managed to drop scalding oil onto poor old Eros - and was punished for looking at him by being cast back into terrifying solitude and ended up in the underworld. It all ended happily ever after when Aphrodite forgot for her rancour and she married poor Eros!
One of psyches symbols is a fish! I think the christians just nicked it.

Richard